Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Layout improvement at the MM area
2003 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (professional degree), 20 credits / 30 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Schefenacker Vision Systems Australia Pty Ltd is one of 19 plants in the worldwide company Schefenacker International. The company started as a metal forming business in 1944 and is now a world-class manufacturer of rear view mirrors. The plant in Adelaide employees 712 people with 120 of them working in the Motor Mechanism area. In this area, the actuator for the mirrors are produced and 20 percent of the production is for the domestic market and used within the plant. The remaining 80 percent are exported mainly to other Schefenacker companies around the world. The study is done on the Motor Mechanism area with the intent to improve the layout. The area has rapidly grown and no strategic plan for the layout exists. This has affected the flow and the handling of the parts, leading to double handling and long distances for the material to be transported. The project has followed a circle of plan, do, study and act to assure the best possible outcome. To collect information the personnel involved in the area have been interviewed and literature studies on layout changes have been made. The Intranet and the database on the company have also been used. The outcome of the study is a description of the current situation, an analysis of the same, a requirement specification on the production system, a proposed layout change and recommendations for future work. The report also contains a brief description on the resulting implementation of the layout improvement suggested by the project group. A total number of 20 small moves at the cost of A$ 22,000 will be done. In addition to this, five regular and four special racks will be purchased at a cost of A$6,850 to meet present and future production demands. The main changes suggested are to align the rotary tables along the main aisle and give them a dedicated storage area next to the point of use. The assembly of motor to worm will also be moved to the aisle to ease the delivery of motors to this manufacturing cell. The requirement specification made implies that the new layout will be 84 percent of the optimal layout compared to the current with 48 percent of the optimal layout. The requirement specification covers the areas of products, layout, material flow, equipment and overall work environment. Major benefits of the proposed layout are: • Material handling cost savings of A$20,800 per year due to decreased material handling of 20 percent for the area • Decreased storage points for 61 percent of the products in the area • Flexibility for capacity expansion and shrinkages The main future recommendations made are: to introduce the 5C concept along with the layout change: investigate if equipment that is running out of capacity can be run during lunch breaks: decrease down time in the moulding department for better and more reliable deliveries to the Motor Mechanical area. As the project group left Schefenacker, the first steps of the implementation been completed with great success. The immediate response from operators and management were very positive.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2003.
Keyword [en]
Technology, Layout, Material Flow, Material Handling, Safety, Implementation, Production, Australia
Keyword [sv]
Teknik
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:ltu:diva-47931ISRN: LTU-EX--03/067--SELocal ID: 56bfdd81-37bc-4eeb-80e8-db3b9be13c87OAI: oai:DiVA.org:ltu-47931DiVA: diva2:1021267
Subject / course
Student thesis, at least 30 credits
Educational program
Ergonomic Design & Production Engineering, master's level
Examiners
Note
Validerat; 20101217 (root)Available from: 2016-10-04 Created: 2016-10-04Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

Total: 4 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link