Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Pulverized Sponge Iron, a Zero-Carbon and Clean Substitute for Fossil Coal in Energy Applications
Luleå University of Technology, Department of Engineering Sciences and Mathematics, Energy Science. RISE Energy Technology Center AB, Division of Bioeconomy, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden.ORCID iD: 0000-0002-9395-9928
RISE Energy Technology Center AB, Division of Bioeconomy, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden.
RISE Energy Technology Center AB, Division of Bioeconomy, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden.
RISE Energy Technology Center AB, Division of Bioeconomy, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden.
Show others and affiliations
2018 (English)In: Energy & Fuels, ISSN 0887-0624, E-ISSN 1520-5029, Vol. 32, no 9, p. 9982-9989Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

The direct combustion of recyclable metals has the potential to become a zero-carbon energy production alternative, much needed to alleviate the effects of global climate change caused by the increased emissions of the greenhouse gas CO2. In this work, we show that the emission of CO2 is insignificant during the combustion of pulverized sponge iron, compared to that of pulverized coal combustion. The emissions of the other harmful pollutants NOx and SO2 were 25 and over 30 times lower, respectively, than in the case of pulverized coal combustion. Furthermore, 96 %wt. of the solid combustion products consisted of micron-sized, solid or hollow hematite (α-Fe2O3) spheres. The remaining 4 %wt. of products was maghemite (γ-Fe2O3) nanoparticles. According to thermodynamic calculations, this product composition implies near-complete combustion, with a conversion above 98%. The results presented in this work strongly suggest that sponge iron is a clean energy carrier and may become a substitute to pulverized coal as fuel in existing or newly designed industrial systems.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
American Chemical Society (ACS), 2018. Vol. 32, no 9, p. 9982-9989
National Category
Energy Engineering
Research subject
Energy Engineering
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:ltu:diva-70465DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.8b02270ISI: 000445711700103Scopus ID: 2-s2.0-85052297503OAI: oai:DiVA.org:ltu-70465DiVA, id: diva2:1239609
Note

Validerad;2018;Nivå 2;2018-10-15 (johcin)

Available from: 2018-08-17 Created: 2018-08-17 Last updated: 2018-11-22Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text in DiVA

Other links

Publisher's full textScopus

Authority records BETA

Wiinikka, Henrik

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Wiinikka, Henrik
By organisation
Energy Science
In the same journal
Energy & Fuels
Energy Engineering

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 103 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf